Saturday, October 25, 2014

paskr18 favorite comic book artist

I was first introduced to comic books by my father and my cousin. It was during my childhood. Through my father, I was introduced to European comics characters like Tex Willer, Akim and Zembla. The first both were created by Italian artists and the later on demand of a French publisher (Lug Editions) but also drawn by Italian artist. My cousins introduced me to the DC and Marvel comics worlds. My first reading was in French (Semic was the French publisher who officially translated the major American comics brands at the time and publish them). My cousin also gave me my first English written comic: Bishop The Mountjoy Crisis.



Akim
Tex Willer
Zembla
We'll talk another time about European comics and in how they differ from American comics. The main focus in this post is my favorite comics artist from an American comics publisher. When I think of it, I grew up mostly reading Marvel comics than any other publisher. So without surprise, my favorite comics artist is one who work on various titles for Marvel. Even though I really like the art from Salvador Larocca on graphic novel X-Men No More Humans, one work of him was not sufficient criteria to call him my favorite artist. I was also a big fan of the work of the Kubert brothers and also Jim Lee. But I really think my favorite one is John Byrne.









Bishop: The Mountjoy Crisis
X-Men : No More Humans
I was first introduced to the work of John Byrne via Alpha Flight which is maybe one my favorite super-hero team (although I'm a huge X-men fan). I really like the costumes he designed for the cast of this team, most of all Guardian’s (great mix of Maple leaf and the Canadian flag colors) and also the Beaubier twins’ costumes.
What I really like about his style in general is the fact that most of the characters he draw can be easily identified with. Let me explain myself. Even though those characters have super-powers most of them have a very standard human frame (athletic frame mostly). Compare to more modern iterations of heroes who tend to have hypertrophied muscles for the males and amazingly bimbo like frame for the females.
With his version of She-Hulk he made a very feminine character without being over feminine or without too many bimbo attributes. He did an incredible job with giving his characters, at the same time, a very normal frame and a great share of athletic display.

His work with some titles I was less aware of, at this time, lead me to pay a greater attention to them. He is the one who made me start to like more titles like Namor the Submariner and the Fantastic Four. I really enjoyed reading those during his shift as main penciller.


Fantastic Four
Namor the Submariner
I also greatly enjoyed his work on X-Men during the Hidden Years era. It was a great pleasure for me to read them.


Hope you enjoy this entry of our blog. The next should be on Shiro’s own choice of favorite artist.

Enjoy this entry of our blog. The next entry should be on Shiro favorite comic artist. till then, have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment